We understand that the decision to terminate a pregnancy is never an easy one.
As a certified abortion clinic in Singapore, our counsellors are fully trained to help you through the abortion process in a sensitive manner and you have our complete assurance that your confidentiality is respected and preserved. Our clinic is licensed for legal pregnancy termination and we pride ourselves in delivering a safe and effective approach, with the aim of achieving a swift resolution without compromising fertility.
The clinic is fully equipped to give you a comforting, relaxing environment of rest and respite, where you are assured absolute privacy. Our private surgicentre and day surgery centre are on-site at your convenience, so that we can ensure that all our patients are given ample time and space for rest before and after the process. Your comfort is our utmost priority.
Before anything proceeds, the entire process is explained thoroughly to you, where all your questions and concerns are also attended to.
Assurance & Process
Your total privacy and well-being is our utmost priority.
The use of our private surgicentre provides a secure and sterile environment for you without compromising your privacy or convenience.
- The Process
- After an overnight fast, patients are admitted via a private entrance in the morning
- Procedure is quick and painless under the expert hands of our surgeon and anaesthetist
- Discharged well by mid afternoon
- Most of the time, you will be well enough to work by the next day.
For more detailed information, view our informational pamphlet here.
The Centre’s Facilities
Located in the heart of Orchard Road, our centre is fully equipped to address your needs quickly and safely.
We believe our clean track record is due to our considerable experience, stringent protocols and uncompromising attention to sterility. Many of our patients have gone on to have children when they were eventually ready and under more favourable circumstances.
- Our Facilities:
- Fully certified counselling services to expedite legal requirements
- Private surgicentre and day surgery facilities for complete confidentiality and safety
- Fully equipped, Fully certified operation theatre
- Modern equipment and highly experienced medical staff
- Anaesthesia monitoring under the watchful eye of a dedicated anaesthetist.
- Facilities under-one-roof with your convenience in mind
- Stringent standards of sterility and cleanliness
- Private entrances and comfortable, soothing recovery rooms
- Dedicated ultrasound before & after surgery
Do I need anyone’s
permission or consent?
You have the rights to make your own decision.
Abortion has been legal in Singapore since 1969. Parental consent is not required under the Singapore Abortion Act unless the pregnant woman is not of sound mind and body. However, the Act requires that the woman undergoes brief counselling by a qualified abortion counsellor at an accredited abortion clinic and watch a video on the subject. Our clinic is equipped to provide this on-site.
Girls under 16 years of age have to undergo mandatory counselling at the Health Promotion Board Counselling Centre. They will be issued with a Certificate of Attendance (COA) without which they will not legally be allowed to have an abortion. There is also a mandatory waiting period of 48 hours after the counselling before the procedure can be done. Foreigners have to fulfill certain requirements before they can undergo legal termination in Singapore. You may call us should you need any concerns or clarifications addressed.
I’ve had unprotected sex. Am I likely to get pregnant?
When accidents happen, be assured that there are options available as a backup, provided you seek consultation with us as soon as possible. Some emergency methods may still be able to drastically reduce the chance of pregnancy, provided they are done within the first few days.
Today, there are many contraceptives or birth control methods to choose from. Our clinic is readily available and happy to discuss the different options with you in order to determine which method is right for you.
- Our contraception services include:
- Oral contraceptives/birth control pills
- Depo-Provera injections
- Implanon® insertion and removal
- Intrauterine contraceptive device (IUCD)
- Mirena® levonogestrel intrauterine system
- Tubal ligation surgery
- Emergency birth control / Morning After pill: Postinor and Ella
If the above are unsuitable for any personal or religious reasons, do feel free to discuss other non-prescription options with us, which may include:
- Natural family planning
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who can have abortion in Singapore?
- The criteria for undergoing abortion are:
- Singapore citizen or permanent resident
- Holder of valid working permit (WP/EP/SP)
- Residency in Singapore for the preceding 4 months
2. Am I eligible to undergo abortion?
As long as you fulfill any 1 of the 3 criteria above you are eligible
3. I am a foreigner; can I undergo abortion in Singapore?
You can if you hold a valid worker’s permit or if you have been resident in Singapore for the preceding 4 months.
4. I’m a teenager, is there an age limit and do I need parental consent before undergoing to an abortion procedure?
There is no age limit for the abortion procedure in Singapore. However, if you are below 16, you will need to be sent for special counselling at the health promotion board, after which a special certificate will be issued to you which has to be produced before the procedure
5. Up to how many weeks do you terminate pregnancy?
The legal limit for pregnancy termination is 24 weeks in Singapore
However termination is best carried out before 12 weeks if one desires a faster and more straightforward option
6. Why can your clinic offer compare to a large public hospital?
- We hold the following with paramount importance:
- Privacy & Confidentiality
- Promptness of appointments and flexibility in procedure scheduling
Of course the restructured hospitals may offer the above to varying degrees, but for us the above is generally assured.
7. What I need to undergo before having the abortion procedure?
- Patients will usually undergo the following during the initial consult:
- Pre-abortion consult and counseling
- Bedside pelvic ultrasound
- Viewing of the official pre abortion video in line with the legal regulations
- 48 hour waiting period or longer if the pregnancy is deemed too early
- Procedure scheduling and collection of medication
8. How long will I need to wait before undergoing to an abortion procedure?
There is a mandatory waiting period of 48 hours irregardless of gestation.
However a later date may be recommended if the pregnancy is deemed too early as there is a higher chance of incomplete emptying and subsequent infection for pregnancies that are too early.
9. What will I need to prepare for a small abortion less than 10 weeks? What if my pregnancy is between 10 to 12 weeks? And, what if it is more than 13 weeks?
For pregnancies less than 12 weeks a standard day surgery evacuation procedure is feasible.
While, for pregnancies more than 12 weeks a midtrimester termination protocol involving hospitalization may be necessary.
10. How is the surgical abortion procedure in Singapore performed?
In our practice it is carried out in a fully staffed private day surgery suite in the same building, under the watchful eye of a dedicated anesthetist.
The patient is fully unconscious and feels nothing during the procedure.
After recovery of consciousness the patient will be observed in the operating theatre recovery area for about an hour before being reviewed and discharged home.
11. How long does the procedure take?
The procedure itself only takes 15-30 minutes, but because of the recovery period, the patient may need to spend about 1-2 hours at the day surgery.
12. Do I need to be hospitalised after the procedure?
Not for the standard evacuation procedure for pregnancies less than 12 weeks
13. What information do you collect when I undergo abortion procedure in Singapore?
Statistical information is collected as per government regulations. But the submitted information is confidential and access is forbidden other than for statistical purposes.
14. Do you keep everything confidential?
Patient confidentiality is the cornerstone of our practice. Information will not be shared with anyone, even spouses or parents, unless explicit permission is given by the patient.
15. Are there any side effects a surgical abortion in Singapore is performed?
- The known risks of surgical abortion include
- Trauma to the cervix
- Trauma to the wall of the uterus
- Incomplete evacuation leading to infection and subsequent infertility
- Adhesions in the uterus (Asherman Syndrome)
However in this current era of medicine and especially in our system of legal termination, the risks of the above are extremely low.
16. Is the surgical abortion painful?
Some patients may feel cramps on and off post procedure, but this is uncommon as we normally insert painkillers before starting the procedure.
17. How will I feel after my surgical abortion?
There may be cramps on and off but these are usually quite easily dealt with via painkillers
18. How long will my bleeding last after my surgery?
There is usually mild to moderate bleeding for 1-2 days followed by irregular spotting for up to 2 weeks
19. Can I return to work after the surgery?
You are advised not to have any active program after the procedure due to the effects of the anesthesia. But normal activities after a good night’s sleep should be alright.
20. What can’t I do after the procedure?
Due to the residual effects of anesthesia, you are advised to return home to sleep and not to drive, take alcohol or participate in any active program till the next day following the procedure.
21. What will I need to do after the abortion procedure?
You are advised to go home straight away and sleep for at least 6-8 hours.
22. How many days I need to prepare for my recovery?
Technically you should be fit for any activity by the next day. However, we will cover you with appropriate medical leave should you require it.
23. Can I still get pregnant after my surgical abortion?
As long as you abide by the protocol and your period resumes, there should be minimal impact on future fertility. In fact, many of our patients have gone on to have children when the situation was more optimal for them.
24. After the surgery, when I can have sex?
You are advised not to have vaginal intercourse for at least 2 weeks post procedure.
25. How much does the abortion cost?
Do contact the clinic for cost enquiries
26. Can I use my Medisave for my abortion procedure?
Yes, you may use your medisave.
27. Do you also provide birth control?
There will be contraceptive counseling during the post abortion review about a month after the procedure during which the appropriate birth control will be dispensed if desired.
Questions / Concerns
Our doors and hotlines are always open for you.
We practice an open and non-judgmental approach at The OBGYN Centre. Should you have any questions or concerns at all, please contact us via our hotline or email address. We welcome them all.
The OBGYN Centre
#11-07 Paragon Medical Suites
290 Orchard Road
T +65 6235 4188 / +65 9100 3874
E [email protected]
Monday to Friday — 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Saturday — 9:00 am – 1:00 pm